Thursday, April 3, 2008

4 airports to get to one place


So I was shafted off the UA flight in Narita because of some voluntary grounding of their B777 aircraft fleet for safety reasons. And how did I find this out? No, not from the UA staff who shafted me. But from a Thai newspaper onboard TG flight. What a good example of bad PR.


So, I tried ANA, full, Northwest, full. But I must commend Northwest people in Narita for trying to help. No seats in the end fine, but they really tried. I have only thanks for Ms. Ito, for caring to listen and help.


So I collected the car and went from Narita to the office in Tokyo and then on home to park my car, and then rush to Haneda airport by train to catch a flight to Kansai so as to catch the last flight out to BKK on TG. Just made it ! TG was nice enough to seat me in the bulkhead and had a bit more room to stretch them legs. Flight was chockers ! (full)


Arrived BKK 0515hrs and the first thing that struck me was the un-painted and un-finished look (see photo) on the walls and ceilings of the new "whatchama" call it airport. So now I know its not un-finished, it hasn't changed from my last trip here in Nov'07.


Went straight to town in an airport limousine. Funny how they can charge you THB1,100 for the same trip from airport to town and when you hail a cab from town to airport, it costs only THB250 on the meter, plus some toll charges of THB65.


Freshened up in a colleague's hotel room and went for some noodles before meeting. Breakfast at a cafe nearby the hotel:


Me: "you have soup noodles?"

Staff: "yes, we have egg and wantan"

Me: "ok, we have 1 egg and 2 wantan noodles"

Staff: ok


Later the orders came. Egg noodles was actually "char siew" soup with egg noodles, no egg. Wantan was just soup and wantan with char siew, no noodles. Welcome to Thailand! "Mai phen rai", perhaps the waitress is not an early riser?
Next time you're in BKK, do ask for egg noodles if you're serious about getting your noodles...



No comments: